Row A-Round Ireland (CSR)
In 2015, ‘Row A-Round Ireland’ saw a team of 20 amateur rowers circumnavigate the island of Ireland – a perilous voyage of some 1000 nautical miles – to raise much-needed awareness and funds for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland. Cullen Communications provided pro bono PR and publicity support to the campaign as part of the agency’s 30th anniversary celebrations.
Our objectives included:
- Secure high-profile national coverage for ‘Row A-Round Ireland’ over a period of months
- Generate awareness for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland and sufferers of the condition
- Secure continuous local/regional coverage based on geographical progress of the project
- Execute individual media relations campaigns around four key stages: announcement of project launch of boat; half-way point; homecoming
- Secure at least one high-profile corporate sponsor
- Help maximise donations through call-to-action in all communications material
- Raise a minimum of €100,000 for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland
Cullen Communications allocated a three-person client team to the project, with agency chief Owen Cullen also taking a place on the RARI committee as head of PR / communications. The team developed a PR strategy for all elements of the project based on the objectives: announcement; launch; local media relations; half-way point; homecoming.
We also worked to promote the campaign on social media, and helped RARI to secure a major sponsor: Lyon’s Tea.
Tapping into the drama and danger of such a challenging voyage, our media strategy yielded more than 90 separate print articles plus broadcast coverage including RTE TV (Six One and 9 o’clock news), UTV, BBC Radio Foyle, Today FM, Newstalk, RTE Radio 1.
Row A-Round Ireland raised a total of €110,500 for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland.